History of the Staples Building

When the Mounds Builders first arrived, when the Chippewa traveled the Blueberry Trail, when the first white trappers, lumbermen and steamboat travelers came up the St Croix... all are part of the fabric of Osceola. 

CH Staples, one of the founding fathers of Osceola built a flour mill near the Cascade Falls which he ran until 1862.  CH discovered that the merchandising business was more lucrative than the mill however and in 1870 built the first drug store in Osceola at the site of the Pizza Cellar. His son CW, worked with his father until he became manager of the drug store in 1880. His business grew rapidly and in 1905, he added a soda fountain.

First Staples Drug Store Photo Courtesy of WI Historical Society

The original building burnt to the ground in 1905. Frustrated with having his building lost to fire, CW then built a stone store and a stone residence.Very well constructed with limestone from local quarries, the buildings have stood the test of time. The other stone building he built is the Inn on the St. Croix, now a B & B on River Street.

By all accounts, CW was influential, generous, enterprising and a good businessman. CW Staples quote: A nimble nickel is better than a slow dime.”

First Staples Drug Store Photo Courtesy of WI Historical Society

Founded

CH Staples, one of the founding fathers of Osceola built a mill near the Cascade Falls which he ran until 1862. CH discovered that the merchandising business was more lucrative than mill however and built the first drug store in Osceola in 1870 at the site of the Pizza Cellar. His son CW, worked with his father until he became manager of the drug store in 1880.

CW Staples

The original building burnt to the ground. Frustrated with having lost his store to fire, CW then built a stone store and a stone residence in 1905. Very well constructed with limestone from local quarries the buildings have stood the test of time. The other stone building he built is the Inn on the St. Croix, a B & B on River Street.

The building is said to be home to two ghosts and seen by several over the years. One is an elderly gentleman dressed in a white suit and straw hat and the other a young woman. Both appear to be dressed as people from the early 1910’s.

Moved to new place

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Iusto, optio, dolorum provident rerum aut hic quasi placeat iure tempora laudantium ipsa ad debitis unde? Iste voluptatibus minus veritatis qui ut.